Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Few Things to Like About East Hartford

The name of the team is the Hartford Colonials, but the venue in which they play is, in fact, in my old home town of East Hartford: not-so-proud hive of the East Hartford High football Hornets, who won only a single game in the four years I attended. Pictured below is the school's mascot, presumably clutching a sprained wrist and grimacing in pain.

""Eh" pretty well sums up the team."
But the point is that I lived in this town for nearly fifteen years. It's had some ups and downs and, yeah, it ain't the prettiest place. But damn it, it's my home. And there are a few good things about East Hartford. Name one? Fine!


1: Burnside Brewery

"Officer, I just had one beer!"
Yes folks, I'm going right for the beer.

Located at 776 Tolland St (you'd think it would be on Burnside Ave), the Burnside microbrewery churns out delicious Ten Penny and Dirty Penny ale in wonderful, wonderful hillbilly-esque jugs. It's a small place so there's no brewery tour, but you can check them out at this link Warning: Site may contain bagpipe music. I'm serious.

Ten Penny has been a favorite of mine for years for barbecues and parties. It's only available in the 64 ounce growlers, so find someone or someones to share with or steel yourself for an overwhelming amount of goodness. (I don't need to tell you to be responsible, do I? I mean, if you need random football bloggers to dispense life advice you need more help than I can give.) Could be a good pickup for, oh, I dunno, maybe tailgating? Know anyone who might be doing that?


2: Cabela's

Not far from Rentschler Field, in fact Cabela's is visible from it! The sporting goods giant features two floors of sporting, hunting and fishing paraphernalia, a small cave/aquarium, a snack shop with roasted nuts and... a gun library. I'm not sure how that last bit works. Odds are you might be looking for something to do in the area, and this shop which is just as much an exhibition as a market is a a fun place to stop for outdoorsy types. Or people who like sporting goods stores. If you know anyone like that.

Oh deer!
3: The Triple-A Diner

Sigh.


Connecticut has a really good selection of late night diners. Definitely more so than Massachusetts, which I add because I still have yet to find one since moving. That being said, this is mostly a nostalgia pick. My bud Art and I have been hanging out here since the halcyon days of East Hartford High and its horrible Hornets. A little less now that we've both moved further away from the place, but Main Street's Triple-A is a place with some history, and I still remember it fondly even if I visit it less frequently. This was where my father and his best friend used to hang out back in the 70s.

The food is about what you'd expect for a 24-hour greasy spoon. Good place for a bite to eat late and it's been a staple for the area's night owls for many, many years. One of the few places around you can get a Monte Cristo. As far as I know the jukeboxes still don't work. The Triple-A's greasy breakfast's have cured many a hangover throughout the years I'm sure. Maybe even one or two induced in someone (we won't mention names) who's tried to tackle a bottle of Ten Penny all by themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment