Thursday, December 30, 2010

Holiday Hangover

My wife and I arrived home today (after visiting relatives for Christmas) with a pile of leftover holiday junk food about three feet high. Which seems like a good way to segue into this story. There's other news to get to though, but since I did want to work on something lighter (ha!) for tonight, I'll just leave you with this quote.

"“He was constantly eating,” Florida State receiver Bert Reed said. “He stayed there. He didn’t even know why he was eating. He didn’t know it was a contest. He just was eating. Honestly … He was hungry, pretty much.”"

In heavier news, it seems that the UFL is still working its way through some troubled finances. And while I'd live to compare this to that post-holiday bill paying funk, I'm a little too worried about this to make light of it. It's inevitable that there are going to be some troubles in an enterprise this big and this young: pro sports are a hungry beast, and debt is inevitable at this juncture, but one would hope that there are still resources to draw from, and it does little for the confidence of fans, players or investors to hear that paychecks aren't being delivered.

Everything I've seen of the UFL thus far has convinced me that it can work. The question now is will it work? The beast takes a lot of money, and apparently it's still hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment